View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Boombastic
3" Exhaust

Boombastic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost88 View Post
Many have posted already but the "relay solution" seems to solve this problem. i about went crazy trying to understand why my supra wouldn't start but the older they get the more the contacts/wires come loose and corrode, they all should be replaced on all parts of the engine.

Basically buy a 6$ 4 prong (or 5 prong relay depending on whether you want to have a kill switch) and mount it on the fender wall(or wherever). It allows for a brand new wire (10-14gauge) to directly connect the battery to the starter when turning the ignition key. I put in this fix Sunday night and so far no problems, starter sounds much stronger.(Also check the + on the starter and make sure its not loose or corroded).

That he is exactly right, I had never heard of the problem before until I bought a supra with that starting problem. The guy before me didn't even know and so he bought 3 re-manufactured starters before telling me about the relay fix. I tried other things before adding the relay because my dad thought I was crazy, but it turns out that was the simple fix and works perfect now. Good luck to you. Cheers.
Boombastic is offline   Reply With Quote