View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukno0003 View Post
...What if when(if) I bought the supra I took it to toyota to have everything that possibly could break replaced or rebuilt? It sounds like it would help out with the reliability of the car but im not sure if it would be to practical, Im pretty sure I would have the money to do that. Do you think that that would be a possible solution?
I'd recommend against that plan because it'd be a waste of $. One of the 'rules of thumb' for owning and modifying a performace car is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It'll save you a lot of $ over time. That said, almost every wearable part on the car can be measured for tolerances, and you can determine whether or not it needs to be replaced. All of the measurements are in the TSRM (Toyota Supra Repair Manual), which should be your first investment...along with a decent set of tools, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukno0003 View Post
...As for modifying the supra, I would just do basic intake and exhaust to last me a little bit.
If you don't mind me overreacting a bit (mainly for future readers of this thread) ...

Please don't do "intake and exhaust" first...because they're not "basic"!!! I have no idea who keeps starting these nasty rumors about the Mkiv TT needing "intake and exhaust", but if I ever find him or her I'll ... I'll ... I'll give them a keyboard warrior lashing they won't soon forget ...

Seriously, if you've ever heard of the term "BPU' for an Mkiv Supra TT, it stands for "Basic Performance Upgrade", and it does NOT include intake or exhaust. In the proper order, it is:
1) GReddy BCC
2) Boost gauge
3) Boost controller (or the $0.10 clamp mod)
4) 25%+ of the gas in your tank is 100 octane race fuel
5) Downpipe

...after those five, you can do an exhaust because the big chrome tip looks cool.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-29-2008 at 10:14 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote