View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Well, first of all welcome to the money pit of your life, lol. A 5pd NA is a great car to start with, I my self have a 86.5 NA 5spd, I love it.

When your launching, first, don't do it on the street to much. There is a good chance you will lose your car and or license, its fun to do it every so often but its dangerous. What rpm to launch at really depends on a few things, the kind of tires your running, the humidity, how warm the tires are, and road conditions.

I have a set of Falken ZE512 tires on my car, they hook great when warm, last October I drove to the drag strip, It takes around a hour to get there so my tires really got nice and warm. I did a good burnout, then left the gate at around 4500 to 5000, the car hooked right up and I ran a 15.4 1/4 mile. The second time I went, I couldn't hook up at all, even at 2000 rpms I still spun tires.

I suggest you drive your car for at least a few more months to a year before messing with it, that way you can develop all of your senses for driving your Supra. I drove my car for six months before I hit wide open throttle, and now I have taken my car to the limit, right before the rear kicks out completely.

As for simple mods, I would start with a CAI (cold air intake), its simple and plentiful, then move onto a high flow exhaust system. Then you can get look into a high flow catalytic converter. I have the old school HKS exhaust on my car, its 2.75" and is nice and quiet at idol and cruising, but has a nice tone when running through the rpms. It also looks like the stock system so it fits in with the car perfectly.

For more advanced mods, as when you blow a head gasket, lol, you can do a port & polish, mild cams, A/F controller, and further intake mods.

Then for the top of the line NA upgrades, custom tuned headders, ITB (individual throttle bodies), aggressive cams, upgraded valve train, MAP system, injectors, high flow fuel pumps, larger radiator, and the list goes on. The problem is by the time you get all that stuff, you probably wont be making tons of power, and for power to cost ratio swapping a turbo engine and trans in would be cheaper in the long run, and the upgrade possibility's after a turbo engine are almost endless.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote