View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
VolvoHeretic
Stock

VolvoHeretic is on a distinguished road

Well, this engine has two really nice 3 into 1 cast manifolds that dump right next to each other. I was going to add a 2 into 1 merge collector right after the manifolds, snake under the engine in front of the suspension cross-member and mount the turbo above the steering box on the driver's side. If I cut an air scoop in the hood, I could then mount the intercooler over the engine and into the stock air intake? Or mount the intercooler behind the front bumper/airdam? I would even be willing to put the engine radiator in the trunk and put the intercooler were the radiator is stuffed.

I am using the drivetrain out of a 164 Volvo sedan and here is one from Norway with a turbo, but I can't find any information on it. I also have a lot less room as you can see. I am also going to install the front suspension which has shorter upper control arms and will give a little more room.

Searching on E-bay, I found a bunch of turbos, but am left totaly confused. Same goes for the Garrett web site. Don't any of you guys upgrade your turbos?

Here are all of the pictures I have, but I am not near the car and will try to get measurments and more pictures later, but if the reason for the measurements is to swap in a Toyota motor, sorry, but this was enough work 30 years ago and if any other motor is going in, it will be a 350 Chevy, but I really don't want to replace the entire drivetrain again.

YouTube - volvo modified 1800e

It went about 90mph in the quarter in 16 sec, but I had to lift on the throttle because it was kicking out sideways when I dropped the clutch at 4000rpm. top speed was about 120mph @ 5000rpm in 4th gear, but had some kind of engine miss. The rattle is the wore-out threaded rod ends to my rear sway bar and the shaking is the out-of-round welded-up and redrilled wheel lugs.

Last edited by VolvoHeretic; 10-04-2008 at 12:15 AM.
VolvoHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote