Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #21
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

I do have a service manual on cd. I got it on ebay and you are right it is a very small, uninformative section! I did check the timing and I did have it at around 18 degrees advanced, but no detonation. I moved it back to 12 degrees to see how that does. I will probably lose some power, but maybe it will cool a little more, but it goes against my thinking. I did notice where it did say that if the timing was too far retarded, it might run hot, but they didn't say how much was too much.

About the fluidine radiator, how much was it and is it basically the same thickness of the stock one. Mine is aluminum and single core with plastic top and bottom. I wish they made a double core radiator same size. I would have bet money the turbo would have been that, but I was wrong! I don't have a numbered temp guage, but it runs for quite a while at about 1/3 up the guage. When it starts climbing to halfway I do the same as you, but I sure hate turning on the heater! I am going to make a piece that fits under the car between the airdam and the front crossmember to see if that directs more air to the radiator. I may even make a small scoop to pick up a little more air, but I will have to see about that.

My aftermarket Griffen for the race car was only $170.00, so I might just see if when all else fails, making one of those fit. They make several width and height combinations, maybe one will work if nothing else here does.

Thanks for all the comments and hints. It sure is a nice car to drive and with the better flowmaster muffler it sounds great too.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote