Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 AM   #18
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Well, Iput some water wetter in the system and am going to drive the car towork for the first time in a lot of months. I am not losing water when the engine isn't running too hot. When I do lose water, the guage has pegged or close to it and it blows it out the overflow bottle in front of the A/C condenser/evaporator, what ever that radiator looking thing is called. I can hear it boiling in the system and the bottle bounces all around while throwing up water. I am probably going to try a dual fan setup later on. I have one 16" fan and can't find one small enough to fit next to it, about 8" would be just right. So 2 twelve inch fans may be the way to go.

I guess with the engine over heating on me lately, many out there would think that I should have a bhg by now, but not yet. I haven't been pushing it and let it cool down naturally.

I think I need to work on flow through the radiator at speed. I have said it before though, I think the cooling system has been marginal at best. I think the radiator is too small and I think the pump lets the water stay too long in the block. That is a long block and maybe the water jackets weren't designed large enough, I just don't know. I raced a Toyota Celica 22R engine for quite a few years with rpms running up to 7800 prms and the engine always ran cool. Large radiator and good flowing system and no fan shroud! Go figure.

I hope I make it to work without getting pissed at the steam coming out of it again. I will let you know. The cap is pretty new and I will check the ignition timing tomorrow. I set it to where it just stopped detonating and then retarded it a bit more, just a bit. Who knows maybe that is my problem or part of it.

Later
Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote