View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Upstairs Chris
Stock

Upstairs Chris is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Should I buy this supra.

Hi all. Big newb here so be easy with me.

I have been in need for a car for quite a while and always thought of used.
I love cars and consider it a hobby of mine.
I also knew that supra's were pretty rare so I just dismissed it, until this supra came to town.

Its a 1990 naturally aspirated, 4 speed auto, targa. It's red and not faded. Stock 16inch wheels. Leather seats, power everything, all that still works. Only 81,000 miles. One owner.

However the headlights down go back down. There is a whine from the rear axle and the muffler is kinda bad.

Okay not to concerned about the muffler since I had planned on replacing it anyway. Headlights bother me though and that rear axle is definitely a concern of mine. With that said, the man said the one original owner has parts to fix the axle for an extra 250$.

They are asking 2,450$ OBO, I have looked at it twice, rode in it, and picked it apart and other than what i specified its pretty much kick ass.

I did my homework and know that it is a 7m-GE engine and I need to torque the head bolts down to 76lbs/ft instead of the 56lbs/ft that they are, or so Wikipedia says. That obviously includes buying new head bolts and since I am doing that anyway should go ahead and buy a metal head gasket too.

I really like the supra and want it bad, however I know what it needs and know what its worth. I also know that atleast 2 other people have looked at it, one of which was a douche from my high school and would probaly but it out from under me if he know I was intrested.

I had planned to go in and offer 2,000 for it, and the extra 250$ for the rear end parts. Is this a good Idea or no. Should I just skip bargining and just drop the 2,450 to seal the deal. If no one else wasn't intrsted in it I would haggle all day with the man, but I know if i try to go to low, he is just gonna say no because someone is ready with that 2,450.

What should I do?
Upstairs Chris is offline   Reply With Quote