View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993suprawr View Post
...i just bought a 1993 twin turbo mkiv ... is already somewhat tuned up with onlya bout 365hp i was wondering what i could do to supe it up to like 600hp ... its already got after market intercooler and abunch of stuff but how could i supe it up more just need some advice on what to do and what type of gauges to put in it, and if i should get subs or would that add too much weight...
Quote:
...street race pretty much, and i like have no clue what whp is...i just want it to be super fast and look sick...i just wanna be able to beat this 2000 dodge viper super charged with 520hp...
  1. WHP is wheel horsepower, compared to regular HP which is horsepower at the crank. Between the crank and the wheels is the transmission and differential, through which some horsepower is lost. Most car manufacturers quote HP at the crank, but most Supra guys use HP at the wheels. There's anywhere from a 15% to a 30% difference between the two numbers, so 600hp at the crank is a lot less than 600rwhp. I need to know which one you're shooting for before I can advise you. "super fast" really doesn't give me enough info - sorry.
  2. I also need to know whether the Viper really has 520hp at the crank, or he has 520rwhp, or if he actually might have more than that and he's just stringing you (and other potential 'victim's for him) along. Many street racers will tell people they have a lot less than they really do, in order to have the advantage when race time comes, and the $ is laid down.
  3. An aftermarket stereo system will definitely add some extra weight, especially if you go with big subwoofers and a fiberglass/MDF enclosure. The more weight you add, the slower it'll be. On the other hand, you can always add even more hp to the engine to compensate for the extra weight if having a great stereo is that important to you...which means a lot more total $ for the upgrades (i.e. the $ for the stereo AND the $ for the additional hp to compensate). Your choice.
  4. I still need more info about what you mean by "street race". Do you mean from a dead stop, or from a roll on the highway. You need to do different things to the car depending on which you're talking about.
  5. I plan to help you out as much as possible, and get you all of the info you need to do the upgrades. However, I'd ask that you please keep an open mind on everything that comes up here. The guys kind of do have a point - an upgraded Mkiv turbo can be a death-trap to even the most experienced driver. I am being totally honest with you when I say that I wouldn't even let Schumaker drive my Supra without a lot of coaching ahead of time. The guys here are really just trying to keep you alive, and keep your Supra in one piece - and I think that we can all agree that those are two very worthwhile objectives.
Quote:
pwpanas wanna take a look at the car i bought YouTube - WWW.TYEEIMPORTS.COM SUPRA MK4 WALK AROUND and tell me what u think of it and if i should supe it and what not, does it look alright or like did i just waste my money :S i donno but if u could check it out would be cool, and thanx, i dont really know much of its past cause the guy that owned it was from tokyo japan but from what i can tell im pretty sure he used to drift i think:S i donno tho haha and what sort of modifications should i do first and eventually add on alot more slowly
I don't know how much you paid, so I can't tell you if you wasted your $. Your Supra is beautiful though, and it looks to be in great shape.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-25-2008 at 11:08 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote