Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Well the waterpump pictures are appreciated. They all are the same I guess, just seems weird though. The mating surfaces on both the head and block were machined and very flat. I tried a few heads that had the water channels eaten out by electrolisis and that is where they never sealed well enough and leaked. This basically new head has no pitting nor any irregularities on the surface. It was checked before I bought it so I don't have first hand knowledge on actually seeing the checking being done.

The block was machined by a shop I regularly do business with, but no one is perfect! I don't seem to be losing water anywhere, it just doesn't seem to want to stay cool! I started with the fan and new fan clutch and a fan shroud. This shroud was from an older car and no electric fans for the A/C, but I don't have a compressor right now anyway. The fan clutch would run fast when it was cold but would slow down the hotter the engine would get. Sitting there idling it would eventually overheat.

With the electric fan, one big 16 incher, idling it will not over heat, but the side it does not cover does get hot. I thought driving it around would get air through that area so I tried it. Around town, not bad and it is hot down here in Louisiana, it managed to stay normal on the guage. As soon as I get on the freeway though the temp starts climbing. If I turn the heater on high, it doesn't go up as quick but still does go up. When I return to stop and go driving, it kind of stays where it is but slowly climbs, never drops.

The radiator is about a year old, aluminum, single core, 1" cores. I checked the parts house and the turbo takes the same radiator. There is no blockage of air from the A/C parts in front of the radiator other than normal. I am not sure about the smaller hoses running to various parts on the intake, but they will only fit at the places they go to. I replaced the heater core last year too, it was leaking.

It seems that the cooling portion on these cars is marginal at best. I know up north it might be better and maybe the car wasn't designed to cope with the heat down here, I know I am not!!!.....lol. I will keep working on it. I will find a smaller fan for the open side of the radiator and try to seal the bottom off between the airdam nose to the front crossmember.

Speaking of the water tubes running the length of the block. At the back corner on the exhaust side the is a port that is blocked off with a rubber cap. I don't see where it could go to. The heater hoses seem to go to the right places. Just wondering.

Thanks
Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote