Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmmm...I sure do appreciate all the suggestions. I did not have the block magnafluxed. I have done work on other Toyotas and while I have seen the blocks leak on the outside from rust below a freeze plug or a stress crack, I have only seen the cylinder pitted just once where it was leaking coolant once and that was my last 7mge engine. The mating surfaces are flat and the guide pins are not too tall and the head bolts are not bottoming out. I feel good about that mating surface.

What I don't like is the way the waterpump impeller is turning. The fan is turning the correct way to pull air through the radiator, but the impeller seems to turn backwards from what I would think as normal. Most people mechanic friends I have asked about this say it looks like it should turn just the opposite from the way it is turning.

If you turn the waterpump over and look at it from the impeller side it turns counter clockwise as it should with the way the engine turns over, clockwise.........with me still?!?!?!?!....lol. Most mechanics think the impellers should turn with the leading upper edge first, cupping the watter and forcing it to move. Instead it looks like the back side of the impellers are pushing the water away. They are arced and this way looks like it causes cavitation when it spins and very little water movement. I looked at a bunch of water pumps for the car and that is the way they all look.........so, anyway it just seems weird.

Now I have an electric fan on the newly acid dipped radiator, but I didn't have a thermostat in it. Well there was one in it but hollowed out. Is this one of those cars that needs a thermostat to slow the water down through the radiator?

If I drive it around town for a little bit, it seems to run a normal temp, but as soon as I get it on the freeway, it overheats. Should there be a shroud under the car from the airdam to the front crossmember? Would that help more air go through the radiator at higher speeds and keep it cool?

I have never had a problem with overheating like this car. I really like it, but I am taking more and more drugs to help me not drive it off a cliff, well, into a swamp down here in Louisiana..........lol.

Thanks and sorry to be so long winded, my kids think I talk too much also..........sigh.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote