View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
OkieRA29
Stock

OkieRA29 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the celica is fun. It is to replace my first car, which I sold years ago and never got over. This one is going to take some time to get up and running. Good news is I bought it from the original owner and he is a toyota mechanic. He also sold me the parts car you see behind it. The only thing I am really missing is an upper console insert for the radio. No rust and he took care of it. All told, I am only in the celica for 700$ including the NOS weber and cannon intake.
Good and bad news concerning the supra. I got the new ignition cylinder and key and the starter yesterday. The guy I bought it from uses the 7M in pickups. He had an 88 shell sitting out by his shop. We got to talking and he says...
"I've got a lot of extra parts in that shell. If there are some you need you can take 'em"

I ended up with the driver's side door panel that I needed. The speaker grills that go behind the rear seat. A new rear seat and cargo area floor complete with carpet and padding. A new console insert with shifter boot. He also said he would sell me the front bumper for 15$.

Now for the bad news. In the process of removing the old ignition cylinder, we kind of fubar-ed the ignition switch. We did, by rigging something up get the new ignition cylinder to work. The electrics seem fine. I was able to get the windows up and they stayed. All the caution lights and such came on and then went off in the correct time. So we went for it and tried to start it. Now, since we have not replaced the starter I knew that it would not start per se, but the starter did engage and spin. I also tried to turn the engine over by hand and everything worked there. Next will come replacing the starter. We were too short on time to get it done yet. Once that is done, I will replace the ignition switch. Luckily, the local Pull-a-Parts just got a '90 in and it still has the ignition switch, but not the cylinder. Hopefully, after that it will start right up and we can see what happens. The gas gauge reads half full, so that at least is optomistic I still need to find a new back for the passengers side seat. Are the backs of the front seats interchangeable if removed from the frame. The P.A.P. supra has a good driver's seat, but a crappy passenger's seat.
OkieRA29 is offline   Reply With Quote