View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionguy View Post
a turbo timer keeps your ignition running even after you've turned off the key for a preset amount of time depending on driving time and style to allow the turbo to cool back to a normal level before ceasing oil flw to it. a blow off releases psi when the throttle plate is closed to reduce/prevent backspin compressor surge ( imagine throwing your trans from 4th to reverse.. lol) the wastegate regulates boost pressure and spike, boost spike is when the turbo boosts past a preset point becuase the Wastgate cant dump quickly enoug, i think his is one of the last terms im still fuzzy on. but a downpipe should be done with a diff exhuast, but that will reduce turbo lag, and increase your turbo's potential to a certain point. a boost controller helps works with a wastegate by telling it when to open, close, intsead of just the spring in the wastgate. that help? haha and ive never owned a turbo car, but ima own 3 sooner or later guna boost my xb, 2jz swap my ranchero, and get the turbo supra lmao.
Starting to think I should plan on doing turbo and exhaust at the same time. If I do the exhaust, I may be able to get rid of the catalytic converter.. but that would lead down a whole new path as I think all the emmission controls have to be fiddled with if that happens. Of course I wont know until I map it all out. Currently searching thru forums for diagrams or links to for the turbo and exhaust.

Going to swap out the current wet air filter for this one (unless someone screams DONT!). I just ran out to the car and checked.. currently it has a K&N filter (the wet one). The only thing I dont like about it is that it uses the oil and cleaner (think its 10 bucks per refill) and I would rather have the higher performing "zero maintenance" apexi... if your gonna do it.. get the best... lol. However.. saying that... is it worth going from K&N to Apexi?
http://www.autosportz.com/airintake_...upra_apexi.htm
If you look at the engine compartment pics... (earlier in this area), my K&N is inside the stock air filter housing. Is that okay?

Also, I have noticed that bar that is sometimes seen going across the top of the motor from strut to strut. What is that bar. I see it, but no info on it (not knowing what its called makes it hard to search out)

And... this may be a stupid question... but what does the hose that comes from the "3000 pipe" and goes into the pass side engine compartment wall for?

Looked at changing the intercooler from stock to HKS.. but at 1000.00... gonna be happy with what I got. Besides.. this is my daily driver, I wont be racing it after I get the newness out of my system (i jumped out of a 1996 Ford Taurus into this... lol)

Last edited by Grandavi; 08-28-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added link
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote