View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
cgreiner
3" Exhaust

cgreiner is on a distinguished road
Default Diagnosing a problem

This morning, my 87 turbo began running a bit rough - particularly at idle. This is the first sign of any problem I have had with this car. It would also buck a bit while accelerating, and the engine light would come on. But, once up to speed, the light would turn off and it would run smooth. It did this for the forst 20 minutes of my commute whenever I came to a stop or dropped my RPMs.

I had a motorcycle that behaved similarly. I disocvered water in one of the spark plug chambers that caused this issue. A 10 cent pipe cleaner was used to clear the drain hole and all is fine. That was after having a mechanic tell me I needed about $300 to diagnose and fix the issue.

So, I have heard Supras have an issue with oil getting to the saprk plugs. I have not opened her up yet, but does this sound like it fits the bill? If not, any other suggestions ?

Also, an annoying side is that I get a cracling from behind the radio occasionally. It occurs even if the car is in acc only mode so I do not believe it could be the head gasket or anything truly engine related. The car has run great despite that noise and I assume it to be related to the ac or heating system as my ac is about as cold as a NC summer day. Any thoughts?
cgreiner is offline   Reply With Quote