View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

You have little issues like leaking vacuum hoses that I would deal with first, but next I would either take the car in for a rad pressure test. Wondering if you had such a bad headgasket before if the car may have been run low on coolant for a while and you have build up somewhere. Also I think the temp sender is fairly inexpensive and simple to replace. You may want to buy one, try it and see if that is any different, then if no change, just return it.

Also, I would test your thermostat first as that is my first thought if coolant levels are normal but it runs hot. Simple to do by putting it in a pot of water with a thermometer and seeing what temp it opens. You could take it right out for a quick test, but it will take longer to heat up the motor.

Also, I try to keep the shroud on, to prevent the fan from drawing warm air from the motor compartment when cooling. I had to remake a shroud once out of sheet metal for my 1977 1ton and then switch the rad from a 3core to a 5core when I started pulling a boat to keep the engine cool.

Any leakage of coolant.. even if only when pressure is built up, should be fixed. Sooner than later.. just to feel safer about driving it.

Be interesting to see if its a single problem or a mix of problems. Slightly over half-way is not a serious issue, although I don't know what that would mean in engine temperature.

Finally, misfiring could be doing it, but that could be a lot of problems. Im guessing you want to make sure the cooling system is perfect first.

Last edited by Grandavi; 08-25-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: corrections
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote