Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

I have had this POS for a couple of years now. The engine was overheating and blowing water out the overflow. I thought, blown head gasket. Well it was sort of, but mostly it was the eaten up head that wouldn't allow the head to seal properly. I also had another block bored because what I had needed rebuilding and I wanted a fresh engine.

The problem was that the cooling system would pressurize and blow the water out of the system and overheat! I tried a couple of heads from the junkyards but all of them had been eaten up pretty well and the gasket wouldn't seal. I bid on a realy nice head, got it in and checked it out and stuck it on. Well I was still getting the bubbles in the radiator coming out the cap hole. I finally pulled the head off the last time and found that the number 1 cylinder had some pitting and it looked like the water was seeping in there but also being pushed out when the engine was running.

I got my old block and had it bored then just transferred the parts to the just machined block. I built it, put it back in, connected everything, poured water in. I started it up and the bubbles are still there. They look like bubbles that might have a bit of exhaust gas in them. They just keep on coming out, never stopping. Eventually the system pressurizes and blows the water out and it overheats.

I got the radiator cleaned out and it has a new water pump. I just have been racking my brain trying to think of where and how these bubbles are getting in the system. It has to be something periferral, at least I think it does. I am ready to shoot it. I want to drive it so very bad, but I can't.The head is basically new, the block deck was milled flat I am getting the same problem with the engine setup as with the other. That is when I start it up. with the radiator cap off, I am getting bubble coming out of the cap hole. It never stops. the engine overheats after 20 minutes of idling and blows all the water out. Freeze plugs are sealed too. Somthing is forcing air into the system somewhere, but I am at a loss.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Suggestions, hints, even Miss Cleo. If you need more specifics, please ask.

Thanks
Russ Lawson

rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote