Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
Joe

Thanks for the info people.

I now have the engine removed and found the problem. The engine has, what I can only describe as, "eaten" number 6 big end shells. I took off the end cap and found NOTHING, no shells, not even any remenents of them, nothing, and in the bottom of the engine a very sad pile of mush. Likely prognosis, a crappy oil/filter was used and engine began to rattle a little bit through neglect/overheating (although all pipes and such are in very good condition and came off with no trouble) so the owner put some thicker oil in there (what smelt like hypoid oil or 90w oil) and it went from threre. I then took the crank and the rod in question to my local engine recon poeple (they just supply the parts, I build it) and they have told me that a crank grind is impossible as the no6 journal is 0.0040 below the biggest big end shells they can get! As for the rod, well the end cap is oval ! Never mind eh?

From my calculations I can spend ?800 approx $1200 on the engine, and still sell the car at a profit! So im not too worried, I have also found at my local scrap yard a whole endine that has done 129k, ive taken one of the cam caps off and its in good condition so I wil probably have that whole engine. Its also the better engine as it has the late 89 engine with the fully balanced crank. Just got to make sure evrything will fit now....

thanks

Joe