View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgebound786 View Post
Ok so heres the situation, im pretty much getting a automatic rhd non turbo 1994 supra for free. its from a family member. i rely want to upgrade it though.. ill have about 2500 to work with.. i saw full 2jz swaps on ebay for around 2 grand.. wuld i be better off buying that.. or buying a tranny for around 800 and then buying a single turbo with my remainding money? im looking for speed but not an insane amount of speed.. i just want to know which 1 wuld be easier or better.
THANKS ALOT!!!
  1. You're not going to find a 2jz-gte for 2 grand, IF it's a 2jz-gte FROM A SUPRA, ...AND it's a 2jz-gte in good condition (i.e. good compression and leakdown #s - just like supramanocnsd said).
  2. You won't find a Getrag V160 6spd in good condition for $800 USD
  3. The V160 6spd conversion will cost you a LOT more than just the cost of the transmission itself. Check out this link: MKIV.COM
  4. The single turbo upgrade for the 2jz-ge will cost you about $4,500 USD + $1,500 Labor:
    Boost Logic Stage 1 NA-Turbo Kit :: Turbo Kits :: 93-97 MKIV Supra NA :: Toyota :: Boost Logic
  5. After the 2jz-gte swap PLUS the V160 6spd, you still will NOT have anywhere near the overall performance of an mkiv tt. You'd be missing the braking capability, the suspension, the horsepower holding capability / durability in the tranny & diff, etc., etc., etc. In other words, in my honest opinion, sell the 2jz-ge rhd supra, and then save up for a real 2jz-gte jza80.
  6. From one Supra owner to another (potential) one : plan to allocate some of your budget towards serious driving lessons. Really!
    Sebring International Raceway - - National Auto Sport Association - We drive harder -

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-17-2008 at 04:38 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote