View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #38
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

Before you order this work, I just went back and re-read the original post and previous replies. I think your barking up the wrong tree by now focussing on the valve seals. The valves are not on the pressurized oil circuit, and get most of their lubrication from the gasoline. Even if the valve seals are leaking, you will not get enough oil past the valve stem to account for the oil losses your claiming. A typical valve stem seal leak will be a puff of smoke at start-up, but it clears up. If the smoke is continuous, I'd be focussing on rings or BHG.

I noticed you have not posted results from a leak-down test yet. Any good shop can do this, and it gives a real good indication of the condition of the rings and valves. Do this before anything else. It will help determine the next move. And, it is much cheaper than valve seal replacement.

The reason I say this is because it would be almost as expensive to replace the valve stem seals as it would to do a BHG. Not quite, but it would be cheap to do if the head must come off, rather than spend all that money to do it, and then find out the head will have to come off later.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote