View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Well first off, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that guy you bought it from fried the rings from revving the piss out of it.

Second, there is tons of info on 1JZ and 2JZ engine swaps out there, but I'll shed some light on it for you. There is no such thing as a easy swap, unlike a Honda where all you need for a swap is engine mounts and a harness adapter to run a diffrent ECU, a 1JZ and 2JZ swap will need a custom harness in your 87. 1986.5 to early 89 Supras' all have the same engine and body electrical harnesses, from late 89 to 92 the harnesses changed. The 1JZ-GTE was introduced into the JDM models during the latter years, so the 1JZ ECU will not be compatible with your 87 harness. Since the 2JZ came from the MKIV Supra neither early or latter harnesses will work.

Next, if you choose to do a 1JZ or 2JZ swap, you will need front cross member assembly and engine mounts from a 89+ car, the pre 89 cars have diffrent cross members and engine mounts that will not be compatible.

As for transmissions, the NA MKIII Supra came with the W58, the turbo models came with the R154 (7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE), but both also had the same 4 spd auto. The MKIV turbo model came with the Getrag 6 spd, the 2JZ-GTE will bolt up to a R154 with the correct bell housing.

As you can see, this can get real confusing and complicated real quick, and I have bearly touched the surface. In my opinion you should pull the engine you have now, fix it, re-build it, and keep it, you can get plenty of power out of a 7M. And all the money you would spend in getting a 1JZ or 2JZ swapped in, you could refurbish your suspension and have a turbo car that handles like it was new.

Starting with a turbo car is always a plus, but make sure if you take the time to build a engine, don't cheap out on anything, a Supra is a diffrent breed, it wont survive on cheap parts.

Hope this helps, good luck.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote