View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
vdesign
Stock

vdesign is on a distinguished road
Default supra newb overheating

Hi guys.. I just bought a toyota supra 86.5 with some over heating problems. I have replaced the upper and lower radiator hose, radiator cap, thermostat twice (thinking the 1st one was bad), the headgasket and bolts are new and upgraded, replaced the water pump yesterday, flushed the radiator (with one of the bottles at a parts store), replaced the belts, and put in a new over flow tank. I felt the fan, the fan still has plenty of tension in it. The smaller fan works. Just put new radiator fluid/water in it and drove it to work this morning and it still gets hot.

When it heats up, its usually when I am at an idle and/or accelerating. It will go about 3/4 of the way up (20 min drive), then go back down and some times it even gets into the red (45 min drive) then goes back down almost immediately after. Then after a while, like the other night, it will shut off. When it shut off, the temp gauge showed just over the half.

The fan shroud is hanging pretty lose on the radiator by some duct tape (bought it like that). Newer engine is installed with about 50k miles.

Last edited by vdesign; 06-25-2008 at 03:26 PM.
vdesign is offline   Reply With Quote