Thread: 250hp 7mge?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

I would say a electrical supercharger is not practical for a automotive application, a motor powerful enough to pressurize a turbine would need a lot more draw and volts than what is available with one alternator and battery. I'm not saying you should drop all plans on it, it's your car and it's up to you, just look into it more before buying.

I just glanced over the FOS website and their electrical superchargers, they are designed for smaller engines, probably 1.1L max (1100cc), so even if you pumped them to the max you would not gain any noticeable horse power in a 3L engine.

I have a few suggestions, but I also have a question for you as well. Is the car a daily driver? If so then some of my suggestions would not be the best for that application.

If you want to get some more power you should consider getting a set of aggressive cams, and do a lot of head work. But if you chose to do the head work, then you are going to have to do another head gasket and it will drain your $1500 budget quick. In the end you would have a pretty bad ass GE that would rev like no tomorrow, but you would lose that smooth idle and some power at low end.

You could also do a custom intake manifold to point it strait forward, when you do that you could get yourself a larger throttle body and improve air flow, I would think it would lower your intake temps as well.

If you like superchargers, then look into centrifugal superchargers, and twin screw superchargers. The twin screw would require you to fab a custom intake manifold, but both superchargers would need some custom brackets and belt work as well.

My final suggestion would be what I do first before any internal/external mods to the engine. Get yourself a MAFT Pro, if you get that, then you can tune for almost anything.

Hope this helps, Good luck!!

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote