View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
TomFraser
Intake

TomFraser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold42usa1 View Post
i am looking at a '90 supra with a turbo and 100,000 miles on it. The asking price is $4000. What concerns should I have? How long does a turbo last? Do they put undue stress on an engine? Is this a wise move asssuming all looks okay. Any advice is appreciated.

look through the threads at all of the complaints people have...

you want to make sure there is little rust, check the wheel wells, and spare tire well.

If possible, CHECK COMPRESSION on the engine. Supra's are notroious for blowing head gaskets, if the previous owner has never had a problem with the headgasket, expect to repair it.

The turbo should be fine as long as it is working when you buy the car. It does put some mroe stress than usual on the engine, but will not cause a problem with the engine, as long as it is maintained.

Also if you have never had a turbo before, make sure proper reasearch is done... for instance if you were driving pretty fast with some boost going, do NOT shut the car off right away, this damages the turbo. (A turbo timer will fix this)

Just overall look around the forums. In the FAQ there is a buying guide that has all sorts of good info.

Good Luck, and wish me luck too as I will be buying a supra in about 5 hours (1988 N/A Manual)
TomFraser is offline   Reply With Quote