Thread: Error code 42
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

Well, the ECU is using it for something, hence the code. Also, with the age, you may need to get the IAC cleaned out. They do tend to gunk up over time and affect the idle process. The fact that it hasn't tripped a code yet simply means the IAC is still responding to the ECU, but the air passages for the IAC may be plugged with carbon gunk.

Maybe someone else on this forum knows how the ECU uses the VSS. Many cars today use them as part of the transmission control, as well as a minor part of the fuel mix algorithm. You may simply have a bad connection behind the instrument panel. Does the speedometer work OK? Mine has an intermittent buzzing coupled with a bouncy needle. I've noticed my cruise control will act funny when this happens, but most of the time, it is steady and smooth.

BTW, did Toyota never sell Supras in Ireland? What? A Toyota mechanic will not touch a Supra? Please elaborate. Sounds strange to me. The 7M-GE engine was also used in Cressidas. Did they not sell those either?

Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 05-28-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote