View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #19
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_p0pe View Post
Hey there,
I have this same problem and to make sure it is right the first time could you also tell me how to replace the valve cover gaskets too, how many and where at exactly?
There are two (2) valve covers and one (1) 'spark plug cover'. However, the Toyota manual, and probably your Toyota parts guy will list them as the No.1 and No. 2 Cylinder Head Cover Gaskets for what we Americans usually refer to as valve cover gaskets. The 'spark plug' cover/gasket is refered by Toyota on our car as the No. 3 Cylinder Head Cover.

So...the No. 1 and 2 are traditional valve cover GASKETS, to be used between the two valve covers (No. 1 and 2 cylinder head covers) and the head to seal, while the No. 3 Cylinder Head Cover is one complete replacement part/gasket/cover but not actually a valve cover...goes on top of the head, over the spark plugs, between the two valve covers.

If you are going to work on your own car and don't recognize a traditional valve cover you MUST get the Toyota Supra Repair Manual (TSRM). Even for those who do know cars will most likely have and use it frequently. (I recall from somewhere in this forum the TSRM is available on-line. If you can find it go to page EM-33 for the 1988 Turbo for a nice picture.)

Scan backwards on this thread for lots of info on this topic.
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote