View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

I'm in the process of repairing the trim on my rear windows and hatch. So far I have the hatch done, and this weekend I plan on doing the side windows.

The hatch window trim on my car was leaking and leaving water in the interior trim, so I removed the left, bottom, and right sides of trim from the hatch and stripped all the weather stripping off on the bottom piece. For the side trim I only cut the little strip that lays on the window, since the rest of it was in decent condition. I then painted them a semi-flat black. Next, I put blue painters tape along the trim and window after I put the trim back in, then I used black Silicone II and caulked the area where the weather stripping was. I happened to have one of those corner touch up deals that smooths out the caulk, so it looks good. I have to redo one side because I didn't lay down the tape but It's water tight and looks better than the old dry rotted stripping.

I think is is a good option considering the quote from Toyota for all the stripping was about $994. I had a little trouble stripping the hatch bottom piece, I ended up cutting my self with a utility knife on one finger pretty deep, I may have hit the bone, lol, the blade stopped and it hurt pretty bad. Other than that, the end result was great. I'll post up pics in a few.

I still have to do the top trim piece.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"

Last edited by Chambers; 04-10-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote