View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road
Default 87 NA - couldn't cut endurance race!

So we ran an 87 NA in it for the 24 hours of Lemons in Willows - over Christmas. The car ran great for 16 of the 17 hours in the race - but the last 2 hours we picked it up a bit - chasing a place. We ran 1:32 - 1:36's for most of the day and night - but the 16th hour we picked it up to 1;26 - 1:27'S - and the last hour we really poured the coal to it - upping it (lowering time) to 1:24's -- we ran a 1;23 - and the engine gave up! with 9 minutes to go!

We are guessing we holed a piston - because of the way it acted. We were concerned all night - because we never got a backfire or flames out the pipes on downshifts or hard braking - which means - probably lean. we were hoping the engine computer was compensating - but apparently not !

Just shipped the car out to the engine shop in Kansas - and as soon as our co-driver/ crew cheif gets over mono - we will take it apart and see what the issue was. We will fix it and get the car ready to run in the Houston Lemons Race in october!

remember we are limited to 500 bucks - car and all - excluding safety stuff - so no fancy fixes. are you guys getting more fuel flow by upping injectors - or upping fuel pressure? or does the computer compensate ( I know - I'm dumb about this stuff - but the guy on the team who knows this - is sleeping 16 hours a day - so I'm trying to get a handle on potential cures!

Carl Johansson
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote