View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1KraZyDriVeR View Post
If I single turbo a N/A then would it be a lot weaker than OEM TT?
No. An 'n/a-T' could even be stronger, depending on the size of turbo, fuel injectors, and electronics upgrades that you use.

BUT: The problem is that a weaker/stronger engine is only a very small part of the overall performance of a car. What good is a stronger engine if the transmission or differential breaks...or if the tires just sit there and spin while your competitor with less power jumps ahead? What if your stronger engine gets you going fast and then you can't stop or control a turn in time to avoid an obstacle? All of the other components in the n/a are "weaker" too: the transmission (both auto and manual), differential, skinnier/smaller rims & tires, suspension, and last but not least, a significantly inferior braking system. Please consider all of this before you make your final decision and plan for upgrading. Generally speaking, imho, it's far better to start with a TT.

This turbo kit would roughly put the n/a engine (and only the engine) 'on par' with a stock tt's engine:
Boost Logic Stage 1 NA-Turbo Kit :: Turbo Kits :: 93-97 MKIV Supra NA :: Toyota :: Boost Logic

This turbo kit would enable the n/a engine to make more power than a stock tt's engine:
Boost Logic Stage 2 NA-Turbo Kit :: Turbo Kits :: 93-97 MKIV Supra NA :: Toyota :: Boost Logic

If you want to upgrade the brakes, suspension, and rims&tires to get you up to full tt specs, I'd budget at least another $5K or so, and that's IF you will be doing all the work yourself (i.e. no additional labor $). Most times when you consider all of this additional cost, plus the cost of the turbo kit, it's cheaper to start with a TT, if that's what you really want.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-23-2008 at 03:32 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote