View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road
Question Power Steering Pump Whining

Hi all, Occasionally I hear a "bizzzzzzz" coming from the engine bay in my car when I start it in the morning. It usually just sounds for a second or two and then stops. Today when I started it up I heard it again but it sounded louder and the sound didn't go away. I determined it is the ps pump today when the sound kept going long enough for me to pop the hood and take a listen.

It sounded like the pump was starving for fluid, but it had fluid. When I turned the wheel the sound altered, when I reved the engine a little the sound altered as well, leading me to believe it was a belt being loose. I shut the engine off and checked the belt and it was good and tight, I started the engine back up again and the sound started again. I then drove around for a minute and it was still making the sound. Then all of a sudden as I was listening to it at idol, the sound started to get more and more quite until I couldn't hear it anymore. I don't know if the pump is damaged or what but its not a good sound.

Now the power steering does have a leak, but I fill it every day and I have never had it run out of fluid. The car does have 200k+ miles on it so I can only assume that its the original pump, any suggestions or help would be great!! Thanks.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote