View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
rstutler
Stock

rstutler is on a distinguished road
Default Engine knock @ 1700-2300

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Supra Forums so let me introduce myself first. My name is Rob, I was in the Army, deployed, and when I got back, I noticed a beautiful Maroon 87 Supra 7m-gte. Talked the guy down to $2000 for the car. Drove it back home and didn't notice the knock until I pulled up to a friends house in it. He gave me that look like "oh sh!t." But anyways, my car has been sitting at my pop's house for about 2 years now, I decided to change the fluids and start her up again. No problems. Still she has a knock, so we started taking things apart. We can't figure it out, because from my experience, rod knocks usually increase when given some throttle, but my baby only does it around 1700-2300, doesn't do it at idle, and doesn't do it after 2300... When I changed the oil, I didn't notice any shavings... (which brings up another point... Why the hell did Toyota make that damn Oil Filter so damn hard to get to?!?!) Someone suggested it might be the turbo after it spools, so we took it apart, no shaft play, spins freely... I have yet to pull the spark plugs and see if it softens the knock. Anyways, just trying to see what you guys think it could be, because I'm lost. When I first got it, I ran the crap out of it and nothing happened... Oh and my boost gauge isn't reading any boost, it used to before it sat there for a while..(Mind you I know very little about turbos.) What do you guys think could be causing the knock? Oh, it doesnt sound like anything pounding really, more like an highly audible tongue clicking sorta sound? (bad choice of words...)

Last edited by rstutler; 03-05-2008 at 05:23 AM.
rstutler is offline   Reply With Quote