View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

sd88supra is on a distinguished road
Default A couple of questions

1.) How can I prevent high idle when starting the engine cold on a cold day? If its about less than 50?F outside and I start my 87 N/A the idle will be about 1600 RPM. I know its normal for it to be higher, but I think thats way too high, and its killing gas.

2.) As far as ignition timing, should I keep the stock 10? BTDC or should I go up to 15? I heard 10 is really only necessary to pass emissions here in California, and that an advancement to 15 will give a slight improvement in power and fuel efficiency. True? I checked the timing and noticed it was at 15 so I put it back to 10 to pass emissions. That was this week though, and I haven't had a chance to test drive on the highway to look for a power improvement.

3. What is the purpose of the sub oxygen sensor (California car)? I replaced my regular oxygen sensor almost a year ago but I didn't do anything to the sub sensor. Is it the same model as the regular oxygen sensor? I'm guessing I should probably replace it.

Thanks in advance.

-1987 5 spd Turbo with TEMS: miss-matched tires, needs lots of work, but it runs! Project car.

-1988 N/A auto targa: all stock except 18" rims with Falken 265/35/18 in rear and 225/35/18 in front; daily driver.
sd88supra is offline   Reply With Quote