Thread: Running Hot
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

sd88supra is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, but I did the following and it went away:

- Check the headgasket and make sure its ok. Running with a hot engine will increase your chance of blowing the headgasket.

- "burp" the system and top it off just how others have described.

- Look for any pinched or damaged hoses. If there's pressure leaking it won't allow the coolant to flow efficiently. If a hose is pinched it can cause the pressure to rise and your cap might not be able to hold it, and you'll lose coolant.

- get a new radiator cap from Toyota. Aftermarket caps usually fall between "accepted" ranges which sometimes aren't so acceptable, especially with Japan using the metric system and the US still living in the dark ages when making measurements. Once I got a new cap from Toyota my coolant loss stopped (I was afraid it was the headgasket!).

- you might not want to do this if you just replaced the fan clutch, but electric fans cool much more efficiently than fan clutches, especially during hot weather. They take some load off your engine as well. You don't have a turbo, so a $130 electric fan will do just fine, and your engine will thank you for it.

Hope this helps.

-1987 5 spd Turbo with TEMS: miss-matched tires, needs lots of work, but it runs! Project car.

-1988 N/A auto targa: all stock except 18" rims with Falken 265/35/18 in rear and 225/35/18 in front; daily driver.
sd88supra is offline   Reply With Quote