View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
Pretaco
3" Exhaust

Pretaco is on a distinguished road

If it was replaced right, and the head was machined the factory gasket will last you a long time. Especially if you baby it.

Most of the time on these type of boards you will get the worst out of the cars, because thats what people talk about the most. Kinda the squeaky wheel gets the grease (attention) type of thing.

I have a factory head gasket in my JDM 50,000 mile engine and I don't baby it, but I'm not worried about the gasket. If it goes it goes, but I'm not going to change my mind about the car, or change my driving style because of a stupid gasket problem. That and I'm a tech, so its not a big deal to replace it if it does start to leak.

x2 on people having problems due to bad workmanship, ie: not machining the head, not torquing the head correctly, or having an ongoing overheating problem not related to the headgasket (fan clutch, radiator, etc...)

I figure if you like the car, get it. If you're still not sure about the work, get a copy of the receipt, the part numbers will all be listed, along with any subletted machine work that the dealer did.

Ray.

For Sale: Light blue body parts, Blue interior parts all from '90 supra targa turbo manual.

Also for sale: R154 trans, brake pedal, master cylinder, booster, abs actuator, sensors, abs ecu, driveshaft, 3.90 lsd rear end, radiator, wiring, speedo cable, 8 saw blade wheels, '88 ecu, relays, cruise control actuator (bad cable), empty fuel tank, etc....
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote