Thread: Another BHG
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
suprasabre
Stock

suprasabre is on a distinguished road
Default Another BHG

After putting in a "Low mileage" JDM engine and tranny over a year ago in my 89 Supra N/A, then spending a good part of this last year working out all the issues to get where I could drive it, I have been driving it back and worth to work over the last couple of months. During this time I kept seeing signs of a BHG, but was not totally convinced until last night after driving the hour and a half home.

I had replaced the thermostat housing seal on Saturday and so when I saw the radiator down Monday morning, I wasn't that concerned and I just topped off the radiator. But when I got home last night, the overflow bottle was overflowing and when I checked the radiator, later after it had cooled down, the coolant level was down a good inch, again.

This is not a first time for me, I had to replace an 87 Head gasket back in 2001. That car ran for about 40k and even survived my sons driving for a couple of years.

So I'm going to pick up the parts and start replacing the Head Gasket over the next couple of months. (I have a motorcycle and truck for transportation) While I'm at it, I'll get ARP studs and silicon hoses for it. Since it will be nice and clean, might as well make it look good too!

I will not be putting a metal head gasket in it, but I was wondering is any one brand of head gasket recommended for a good replacement? And if so, how much better then just getting a Toyota head gasket?

Another question I have, has anyone have experience with any of the head gasket kits off ebay? Good or bad?

Thanks!

89 Supra N/A
05 Honda ST1300 (motorcycle)

Last edited by suprasabre; 02-20-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add question
suprasabre is offline   Reply With Quote