View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #9
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Irish_Mechanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
Well if you want to do that then you are going to need a lot more than a couple of wires. The NA computer, from my understanding, will not run a CPS and coil pack, if you are going to put all that stuff on it, then you will probably need a turbo ECU and wire harness, and if you go that far with it, then it really defeats the purpose of a turbo-ing the NA, but thats just my opinion.

What I would do is forget the coil pack and CPS, then you can keep your tach, and just swap out the battery gauge for the boost gauge. The NA ignition should supply ample spark for a turbo application, as you know its just the fuel you will have to address. I have also talked to others who have turbo-ed a engine with low psi as well, and they had stock air fuel control, 2.3L Rangers and Mustangs.
In the past, turbocharging what was origionally an N/A platform required me to take the front half of the turbo app wiring harness and solder it to the old platform's back half. (2.0T Colt/Mirage swap from a 1.6N/A). If you've ever replaced a wiring harness, or soldered two together, you'll get the humor in my 'couple of wires' remark...

as far as my predicted mods for this car go;

COP ignition setup
MAF Translator & Salvaged GM MAF (see link below) http://www.maftpro.com/tgen2info.shtml
stock 88 turbo
stock manifold
3.0 inch exhaust mandrel bent
auxiliary trans cooler
auxiliary oil cooler

then i'm leaving it alone. speedy, not complete rape on insurance (as the VIN says its N/A...heh heh)
Irish_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote