View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #8
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road
Well if you want to do that then you are going to need a lot more than a couple of wires. The NA computer, from my understanding, will not run a CPS and coil pack, if you are going to put all that stuff on it, then you will probably need a turbo ECU and wire harness, and if you go that far with it, then it really defeats the purpose of a turbo-ing the NA, but thats just my opinion.

What I would do is forget the coil pack and CPS, then you can keep your tach, and just swap out the battery gauge for the boost gauge. The NA ignition should supply ample spark for a turbo application, as you know its just the fuel you will have to address. I have also talked to others who have turbo-ed a engine with low psi as well, and they had stock air fuel control, 2.3L Rangers and Mustangs.

What I see being the easiest if you have the cash, get a air fuel controller and get that running your car smoothly with no turbo, so you can learn the computer with out a real big risk of busting your engine. Then go and add the turbo, recalibrate the fuel computer, then if not enough fuel add turbo injectors.

But if you don't want to get a fuel computer to start out with, don't worry about any of the turbo versions ignition components. That could work but also could really complicate it. Try it, just make sure to get the wideban sensor and a wideban gauge going.

I haven't talked to anyone so far that just took a NA with no computer or ignition mods, besides the obvious upgrades, and added a turbo, so I haven't gotten a clear answer on if it will work.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote