View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #53
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Irish_Mechanic is on a distinguished road
Default Engineering

I'll admit that in previous cars i've eliminated weight to try to augment the overall performance. The weight I eliminated usually came with drawbacks, like having to shift while using both hands to pray i dont get a flat (because the spare and hardware was removed), or hoping that i dont pick up more than one girl at a time (because the rear doors were gutted and rear seats removed, and A/C system eliminated).

I'll say this for the supra, if you want to increase performance, horsepower is not hard to come by. Maybe you want to augment the motor, trans, or rear end? Perhaps just a high flow air filter? A high flow (legal) cat and less restrictive exhaust all together would help the base motor run better and stronger. After your pedigree restrictions in intake and exhaust have been aleviated, you're ready to tune. Find a stand-alone engine management system and work out any factory fuel curve kinks you may have.

Before you go replacing hard parts on ANY car to try to get more out of it, start putting quality fuels and lubricants in it. Just like your body, you need to treat your car well. Eat healthy foods, feel better. Run quality fuels, get better milage and performance. Avoid fuels spiked with ethanol, as alcohol yields far less BTU's than gasoline, and as it damages fuel systems not designed to run alcohols. Use a synthetic motor oil, or at least a branded petroleum quality oil. In short, you get out what you put in.
Irish_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote