View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Gengus
Stock

Gengus is on a distinguished road
Default problem seperating engine from manual tranny

For anyone that read my other thread i decided to pull the engine. seeing as ive never seen the car run i just couldn't put all that money and work into the head and not know the condition of everything else.

After lots of prep work i was ready to pull the engine. i loosened the engine to tranny bolts, hooked the engine up to the lift and then removed the engine to tranny bolts. heres where i ran into trouble: i had this brilliant idea that instead of unbolting the four bolts on each motor mount that go into the block i could just undo the nut on the large bolt coming out of the rubber part of the center of the motor mount and the motor mount would split in to and the block would come out with half of the motor mount. well it literially split in two, the rubber snapped. in order to do this we had to lift the engine up very high to try and get it over these bolts before we could pull the engine away from the transmission (manual) during this procces of trying to manuver the engine up and down and forward it started to pour on us, we got soaking wet and where freezing.

once we got the engine off of the motor mounts we lowered it back down to try and pull it off of the transmission with the engine and tranny level but soon gave up for the day because of the conditions. we stuck 2x4's between the two parts of the motor mount and just let it sit.

so the question for anyone thats pulled just the motor and not the transmission before is: is there a trick to getting the engine seperated from the transmission. it seperates about 2 inches and thats it. do i just need to keep the engine and tranny level and try and work it forward or is there a step i am missing.

any help is greatly appreciated, especially before Saterday as we will be giving it another try when the weekend comes around.