View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road
Default How to quickly test starter

Ive got the oh too common starter problem of no crank. When i turn the key to start i hear the relay click, and i hear the starter gear click out to the flywheel and hold in, but no crank. I already fully tested and cleaned the relay and contacts in the relay and it is all fine. I checked all the connections that i can and cleaned the battery terminal connections. I did a load test on the battery and it performed just fine. Sometimes if i click the key to start repeatedly for a bunch of times it will crank, but rather slowly sometimes and inconsistantly, sort or like it stutters a little while its cranking. Sounds kind of like brushes, but i tried tapping the starter with a hammer while trying to crank and got nothing. Ended up having to push start it today.

Anyways my main question is if there is any way i can hook power up to the starter directly from the battery and try cranking without the ignition switch to rule out any of the cars wiring(anything outside the starter itself). I dont want to replace the starter if i dont need to because i read it could be an ignition switch or the long length of wiring going to the passenger side kick panel. ALSO, i did test the clutch safety switch and it worked fine.

Thanks a lot for the help!
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote