View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

From what I've read on here and other various websites, in order to get a 7MGTE out of a 7MGE, you have to swap the exhaust manifold, intake cam, intake manifold (more or less depending on what year 7MGE it is), pistons/piston rings (N/A pistons have a higher compression ratio, turbo works better with lower compression), oil lines running to the block (in the N.A you could probably get away with tapping into the oil pan for the lines), an oil cooler, vacuum lines for the turbo/turbo parts (BOV, etc.). I believe your head should be fine from the N/A, as the valve clearances are the same, and I'm pretty sure the lengths are the same too. With all of the work you'd have to do to make your 7MGE compatible with a Turbo, you're better off getting a 7MGTE and maybe even rebuilding it. Now would be a good time to get your engine how you want, and take care of that headgasket.

I can't think of any other parts, as I have a N/A. I did a little browsing before when I thought about converting to Turbo, but I decided it's smarter to swap it for a 7MGTE; less stuff could go wrong.

If this doesn't help, search the forum. Other people have asked about this kind of work...
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote