View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
mattfurlani
3" Exhaust

mattfurlani is on a distinguished road
Question ignition mystery (what a surprise)

So i have this weird mystery (as perviously stated) in my ignition. It doesn't generate spark. I checked plugs, it has fresh wires, and the distributor doesn't have rust or scarring or anything strange (melted holes) that i can see on it. Its derinately timmed correctly (did it twice to make sure) and as far as i know the coil and computer were working. Now i'm poor so don't gun on me about the obvious tools needed for testing i know i need a multimeter but the one i have is a old hand me down from my old man ... its falling apart and its analog and its from like 1973 and i don't think it can handle the voltage being put out... i think the scale only goes up to 50 volts at highest. I'm pretty sure the computer is working because a lot of other components are working (efi main relay clicks, fuel pump relay clicks, the other relay in the passenger side kick panel clicks... really loud) and when i tested in the shop (at school which i'm no longer going to) it was fine. The coil was at a primary resistance of like 0.4ohms when its supposed to be like 0.26-0.3 so i figured it was ok for now. secondary was below maximum resistance. Perhaps my inexperience has left me screwed. So I can't get a real test from the multimeter i have. I do have qa cheap 12v test light that is brand new (i bought it so i might find out what's wrong) so while i know testing computers with a 12v is really bad, can i test the coil output or input with the test light without blowing up the test light? I'm open to some suggestions, laughs, whatever.