View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 AM   #24
Inlinesix
Stock

Inlinesix is on a distinguished road
Default OVERHEATING!!!!!! STOP thing head gasket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extendor
A little bit more information for you all to ponder. I collected the car this afternoon from the shop and had a really good report on the engine etc. The shop said they had test driven the car and she was still warm so I guess that was true. Within a mile of leaving the car started to overheat and I pulled in and stopped just as the needle touched the red. I just could not get in any sooner because of the road and it would have been suicide to stop.

I had the shop come out and their mechanic let it cool off, topped it up with about 1.75l water from a 2 litre bottle started her fine and drove back.

He took her out for a test drive of 8 miles and she was fine. Got her back to the shop and let her sit with the heater fan off and engine on tickover. The secondary fans came on OK and she behaved as normal.

I have let the shop keep her for a few more days as I want them to do a few cold starts and run ups to see if this happens again.

My own feeling is that they forgot to connect the fan sensor but i was wondering if there was any chance of any damage especially after such a good report on the engine beforehand.

Many thanks to anyone who thinks about this and makes a comment.
If you have problems like this or any other heating problems check ur car, if you have 100k+ miles and you replaced the thermastat... and it still over heats go to a parts store and just buy a new fan-clutch! many people think the fan is just the fan, IT'S NOT! the round metal part that the fan it self bolts to is the fan clutch. to test if it is your fan clutch, simply turn the fan by hand, if you can turn it with eas, replace the fan clutch, i garanty that it will fix your heating. a good fan clutch will have a strong resistance to being turned. it should not be easy to turn. P.S... it will fix your overheating, even with a blown head! i buy supras for cheap from people who think the head is blown. then just replace the fan clutch. trust me it works!
Inlinesix is offline   Reply With Quote