Thread: New to Supra's
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road
Default New to Supras

Little Background:
Recently purchased a 1990 toyota supra turbo, targa top, auto tranny in november of 2006
Paid around 3500 and soon after had to replace the engine, ordered a jdm engine from osaka, btw done use them they sent me a engine with a blown head gasket and only refunded me 400$ whole thing was 1100 or so after shipping. So finally after all work i get to drive it in like feb of 2007 lol. Loved the car since day i saw it though something about that style. Other than mechanical issues car looks great on the inside and out, no dings. Color is faded on bumpers although this is normal.

New Problem:
Take my car to toyota because car would register boost and not gain anything extra from it. Toyota could not tell me what it was >.< looked around online a bit and determined the wastegate was probably stuck open, i assume this wouldnt be a big deal, but was told i needed to replace the turbo.....

So taking the turbo from my old engine, i thought maybe this would work, but ofcourse not it had too much play on the turbine and would scrap the turbo housing when u turned it. Decided to try this place since i am driving up to houston area soon and would be able to see facilities before handing over my turbo, also saving freight charges http://www.turbochargers.com/ (anyone have any experience with them or comment?)

It states this If you turbo requires only a basic rebuild (bearings, seals, balancing, and cleaning), your price is $275 plus freight. However i dont kno if that will all it will cost for fixing my problem hehe, Depending on price i decided to go ahead and upgrade turbo to be good up too 500hp since i want to eventually obtain 400-450 out of my car. Upgrade now save cash later? hopefully anyways

Things done so far:
Low mileage JDM swap
Metal Head Gasket
K&N Filter

Things After turbo:
IC Piping kit (http://www.cooleeze.com/browse.php going with ceramic coating)
And then replace all the vac lines with http://www.suprasport.com/HoseTechni..._p_86-180.html
Also need a BOV however dont know much about whats needed, the new IC pipe has option of where to place the flange and what flange, so whats good placement? any i just have it welded on and im good to go or??

Dont know where to go from there, prolly start thinking about the exhaust system at this point.

BTW i am not a mechanic in anyway, and having tried several places that do crap jobs since they have no knowledge of my vehicle i have decided to become a mechanic..... lol so i will be replacing the turbo and will probably need lots of help

Already have learned alot from browsing your forums for past 3 weeks and decided to finally post and let u guys know what my situation is and to thank everyone

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 09-17-2007 at 05:54 AM.
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote