View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lexus
1. I would have liked to start with a 2JZ-GTE but i couldn't find one unless i bought engine assembly with turbos and in most cases the entire front clip from some other car using that engine (whether it was a Lexus or Toyota or whatever) and I didn't want to spend the money that a 2JZ-GTE cost with turbos and acc. (my budget is small at any given time but growing larger with every paycheck) or on the entire front clip...
Fwiw, I wouldn't let a short-term funds shortage impact your overall design in such a serious way. If you look long & hard you can find a 2JZ-GTE w/turbos from almost any Japanese engine importer (usually from an Aristo). Just mho, fwiw.
Quote:
...3. Is turbo lag going to be that big a deal when in the higher RPM range that I am assuming you should be in when drifting?...
Yep...and it's not just lag you're dealing with - it's the varying rwhp level depending on rpm. The good part about turbos is they can make a lot of power. It feels great when that power keeps ramping up like its never going to stop. The bad side is a roadracer trying to deal with that at-times wildly varying rwhp curve.
Quote:
...1. I was planning on swapping most of the parts that seperate the 2JZ-GE from the 2JZ-GTE even if i was to get the 2JZ-GTE....
I don't understand what you mean.
Quote:
...2. Im not worried about the rwhp goal for my pistons, it was one of your previous replys that said the connecting rods are good to 850 rwhp so...
ONLY IN THE 2JZ-GTE!!!
Quote:
...im assuming the pistons would be fine for the 600 rwhp i want...
Depends on what you get, but likely yes regardless.
Quote:
...but im worried about what will happen to them if i raise the redline....
Your valvetrain is the primary consideration when raising the redline (not the pistons).
Quote:
...3, 6, 7, 8. 600 rwhp...
Is that post-turbo?
Quote:
...1. I want to switch out to an aftermarket replacement for the 2JZ-GTE head, but im not sure what company but i am currently researching that...
There's no such thing. There are only companies that port/polish/valve-seat-cut, etc.
Quote:
...3. I was looking for some advice on this but i was thinking somewhere between 10-12:1 comp. ratio so i could get more hp straight from the engine and keep the turbo smaller, and yes i want to go single turbo...
10:1 is too big to turbo, and 12:1 will require race fuel.
Quote:
...4. Im not exactly sure. What i've narrowed it down to so far seems to fit into the category of "semi-rough idle". In other words fairly lumpy but so that it won't stall if i don't put throttle into it....
I can advise you better on cams after you've gone turbo.
...[/QUOTE]
Quote:
...6. It is on the heavy side but most of the es250 is getting stripped out and I am tunneling the body and with the dry sump system i can greatly lower the center of gravity and I am widening the wheel base so although the car is heavy with all the different mods it, in theory, is managable... If there is something skewed with my thinking let me know....
Glad you're considering such extensive mods. Again, you've got a cool project going on here - please take lots of photos and post them all!!!
Quote:
...1. Although I didn't state it the titanium springs/retainers were already planned along with the after market ECU. Any good companies to get the ECU from?...
For a pure racecar, Motec is an awesome choice.
Quote:
... 2. I was planning on running it non-turbo but only before the engine mods were put in... I know I'd need a 2JZ-GE ECU...
Why? Will you be driving it in bone-stock form?
Quote:
...Also, is 600 rwhp feasible with a n/a motor on pump gas?...
Imho and ime, no.
Quote:
...I've been tossing around the idea of keeping it n/a but am not sure its worth it. And a couple things i forgot to mention in my initial thread; the car will be a purpose built competition drift car but is going to be street legal and needs to be able to run on pump gas...
600rwhp from a normally-aspirated 3L on pump gas is asking a LOT. In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet $$$ that it can't be done without nos or a heavy dose of meth w/v.high compression pistons.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote