View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcarbone
ok give me streetable, somewhat, and 800rwhp. lol
I'll research it some more, but I have two choices for your application off the top of my head. One of them is actually within your budget, but it's the more risky choice. The other one is above your budget, but it's 100% certain to meet your needs.
  1. The first is the HKS GD Clutch Max Twin-Plate. Note: This recommendation assumes this clutch is *still* availabile WITH the:
    Quote:
    ...engagement springs (that) are placed between two pressure plates and the center plate. --- They force the clutch plates to engage one at a time. Doing so makes it easier to slip the clutch, improving street drivability and clutch control.
    I am 100% certain that this version of the clutch was available for the 2jz-gte at one time, but may not be any more. You'll have to call an HKS dealer to find out. Fwiw, I recommend MVP Motorsports or AAP Motorsports. If the clutch is not available with the engagement springs (not the same as the springs for the "sprung-hub"), then do not buy it! Here is the URL for information on the clutch (the one you want to ask about is model 2604-ST004):
    http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=1227
    One last note on this clutch: The reason I say its a more risky choice is that 800rwhp is at the upper end of its holding capabilities*. There is a chance, especially if you drive it hard at a full 800rwhp, that it may not last that long. Lastly, despite the 2-stage engagement, you will still find it less smooth than the oem clutch.
  2. The second clutch is a lot more pricey, but as I said above, its results are certain. It's the Tilton triple carbon, and its holding power actually exceeds 1000rwhp*. Here's a link where you can purchase it, although you might find it cheaper if you try other sites, and negotiate hard (I didn't pay anywhere near this amount for mine, bought as part of a group buy):
    http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tiltripcarcl.html
    I do have a couple of cautionary notes on this clutch too. This clutch can be driven just as smoothly as oem (takes a bit of extra mental concentration when engaging, but it can be done), it has a near-stock pedal pressure, and it holds 800rwhp np. However, does have to be driven in a special way. You'll have to avoid stop-and-go 'rush hour' traffic as much as possible, and slip the clutch as little as possible when you engage it. If you sit there and ride the clutch for a long time, you'll end up with a VERY expensive pile of carbon powder sitting in the bottom of your bellhousing. Oh, it's tricky to install (i.e. even if you're an experienced mechanic, you should still pay an expert that has installed this specific clutch before), must never be over-disengaged (there are strict measurements the 'throw' must stay within, and special (additional) steps may need to be taken as part of the the install to ensure those specs), and there are spacer plates that must be swapped after a certain amount of wear. All that said, I love mine and probably wouldn't be able to drive my Supra on the street without it.
Again, I'll research some more and post back if I come up with other good choices. If any other forum members have direct (personal, first-hand) experience with other good alternatives, please post and I'd be happy to comment, discuss and share experiences. Also feel free to ask about any other alternatives if you don't have direct, first-hand experience with them.

* I'm including this little disclaimer to point out that clutches don't actually hold "rwhp" - they hold tq. The rwhp figures I quoted above assume typical rwhp:tq curves for an 'apu' 6spd 2jz-gte.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-02-2007 at 02:54 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote