View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
youkilledkennedy
Stock

youkilledkennedy is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a 1986.5 Supra

Hi guys, I've spent quite a few hours glancing around these forums over the past year as a pround owner of a 1985 Toyota Supra (with 190,000 miles).

However, I found a very nice 1986.5 Toyota Supra (N/A by default) for $4,970 with 181,000 miles on it. They offered me a trade of $1,800 on my 1985 (which is acctually $100 more than I paid). What I'd like to know is, when looking at these pictures, what do you all feel in terms of it being over/underpriced.

Known Problems:
A/C Belt is off. But the seller says that he can turn the compresser so he does not think the compressor needs to be replaced.

Fan has three broken blades, and they broke because the shroud broke off while it was being driven. However I think maybe the A/C belt broke and broke the blades and shroud.

Trunk Release cable does not work. However seems like a minor fix. Although I still might be able to get 50 bucks of the price for it.

The car has had some troubles starting. He said he recently replaced the starter, but one of the cables was very hard to get to so he thinks it might be loose. I started it once, and drove it around (brakes and clutch seem okay to the feel) but when I got back, I left the accessories on and drained the battery. Then when we tried to jump it, it would not start. (On a side note, how much does a new starter cost incase I need to negoiate with him?)

Good Things:

Only a year or so old paint job. Looks really nice. The suspension springs only have a minor amount of rust. I checked all the trouble spots you guys have pointed out on this site, and they all check out.

Engine rebuilt four years ago. Babied since then (garage, no bad weather driving, and driven by an old man and not a teenager (like me)).

Headgasket has already been replaced.

Here are some pictures:

I appreciate any comments. And please let me know what I should offer him for this nice ride. Thanks! You can e-mail me at jjacobs@ci.davenport.ia.us if you'd want.
youkilledkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote