View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageceo
...1. What i want to know is When purchasing a MK4 Supra What are some of the common problems they have that i should look For E.g. (MK3 Usally have Bad Head Gaskets) What are the issues on a MK4 ?...
If it's been properly maintained, there are no chronic problems, other than the hatch rattle in pre '96's. If it's been badly maintained, or badly modified, or overboosted on pump gas, then of course you should expect problems.

The mk4's oem headgasket is absolutely fantastic - it can hold over 1000rwhp. In fact, even the mk3's headgasket itself is fine too! The chronic problem with mk3 headgaskets has to do with the fact the headbolts were undertorqued from the factory.
Quote:
...2. I got a pretty reliable Stang, got a friend wanting to buy it like Fate on my side he is offering enough cash that i can add to my saved cash to buy a Supra. is this a Car reliable as a daily driver as i will be using it to go to Work, school, Gym, and my daily activities ?...
If you don't modify it, it'll be rock-solid reliable. Many bone-stock Mk4's have gone over 200K miles easy, with no major issues.
Quote:
...3.Off the bat, how much am i looking to spend on the car to get it tuned up, and pretty much set for daily driving. ( no i will not be racing this car for a long time to come, if i do decided to race)....
This can vary WIDELY depending on the condition of the mk4 you get. Generally speaking, if you're willing to spend $25K+ for it, and you search long and hard for one with excellent maintenance records, your initial "tune up" bill will be miniscule. If you buy one that's been beat to crap, obviously the overhaul could get into some serious coin...
Quote:
...4.What is the average maintance Cost of this Car ?...
As already posted, synth oil change is $50+, and a set of tires can run $1K (lasting only 10K miles or so). That's just an example - it's nothing at all like a Camry from a maintenance perspective (nor from a performance perspective either).
Quote:
...5. I never Put an alarm on my Stang, never thought some one would steal it. but im sure a Supra will catch the wrong attention at times, so What is the best or some of the best Alarm systems to buy And are they any precautions i should Take ?...
Imho, the stock alarm system really isn't that bad. It's got a glass-breakage sensor in addition to the standard motion sensor. As far as precautions, always sit in restaurants and park at work where you can keep an eye on the dawg through the window.
Quote:
...I'm so excited but nervous at the same time, mainly since im not sure too much on what im getting myself into Yet im so Close to my dream. Im most likely Going to buy a non modded car, or as least modded as possible i hate modded rides, i can never be sure of the job they had done was Safe....
Maybe not safe, and maybe not realiable. Also, maybe overboosted on pump gas - be sure to pay an expert check out any modded car you might want to get.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote