Thread: which is better
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
jon_570
Stock

jon_570 is on a distinguished road
Default which is better

as of right now i have a 1997 toyota corolla and a 1987 supra turbo 5-speed

im surrently in school for the next nine months. i am debating on weather i should leave the supra at home and take the rolla and while im away have the HG replaced and then when its done come back and get it. heres the delima

i have heard toyota redesigned the OEM headgasket and if youre keeping the boost levels below the fuel cut then the OEM gasket is fine. which i will be keeping the car stock till i come out of college. lets say i go to a reputable shop and have a ARP head studs installed and a new redesigned toyota headgasket installed with a 100K miles motor. how long will this motor run fine till about 160 170 thousand miles with good preventative maintanence or do they not typically last that long. the problem is i dont have enough money for the metal headgasket and all the maching and labor costs but i would have the money for the OEM gasket and arp bolts and labor to put them on. i wont be racing or anything but RPM will be kept below 5 grand like 6500 is the redline. i guess im asking is it an alright idead to do the oem idea if i wont be modifying for a long time.. then when i modify i am actually gonna get a JDM 7mgte and still drive my supra and when i dont work work on the extra 7mgte and when i have it all ready just do a little swap. hopefully someone here can give me some good info. but thanks to all who help</a>
jon_570 is offline   Reply With Quote