View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #26
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Hey if it works for you that's great. I just replaced mine after a year of use and a refused warranty claim... it would still hold 60% of a charge after a couple hours, so it's "fine". It won't even start my '71 Super Beetle. I know a few people who've had them fail.

I really don't think they're the worst thing out there, but they're MILES from being called "the best" much less "better".

I won't go filling the forum with poorly remembered info. Do a search on Google. There was a good automotive electronics site which had a huge thread full of info and pics of dissected bad batteries (all types) and explanations of what the source of failure was. The issues here are the very thin electrodes and the volume of electrolyte. Basically, they're demanding a large yield from components that are, if anything, weaker than those of conventional batteries.

Of course talking to JetJock only served to ingrain my dislike for that big gray with red top doorstop presently sitting in my dad's garage... I've even got to pay to get rid of that lump. Of course, Sears would have disposed of it when I bought my new battery, but I thought hey, I've got a car with almost no electronics that needs a (sealed) battery... well after a few hours off the charger it won't even start that tiny VW engine. I figure when I get ready to sell the Bug, I'll head over to Optima central (they're HQed here in CO) and try one last time to get it replaced.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote