View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
BeppoMarx

no, i dont think its an 86 1/2 because it was bought off the dealer lot as a turbo and it was purchased in NY state (where i currently am). thats why i assumed it was the '5' series motor not the '7' series, but i am not sure. next time i talk to the guy i will get a VIN and track a production date but like i said- this thing has been dealer serviced for 19 years and everything is 100% stock. does this engine/ecu combo also use the fuel flow cutoff type limit? also, i know this engine has a MAF but is it dual metered by the ECU, or is the MAP only used to show the dash display?

is 'RA' just the smoothness or grit (for lack of better term) that the surfaces are polished/milled to? i have a machine shop that does my work and its not a race/performance place but they have TONS of machines. i do all of my work myself and they make me the turbo flanges and special parts and all the crap i want them to, but they may or may not know what 17RA is. please enlighten me. I am used to working with hyundais for the most part where the stock head gasket is good up to 600hp (yeah, on the 2.0) believe it or not so i never have problems in this area. hell ive reused stock head gaskets 3-4 times and never once had a problem, but each engine has its own strengths and weaknesses.

i am also pretty partial to garrett turbos, if i can find a GT series that matches this flow at a good price i will probably be using that but i havent plotted any maps yet.

and lexus AFM- you lust mean get a MAF assembly off of a lexus and the plug/pin config is the same? sounds easy enough to me :P i dont like the idea of not being able to tune it at all. at very least i want to have an adjustable FPR and a wideband O2 sensor, hopefully this fuel system is a return one. maybe an SMT-6 will suit, i am very familiar with their software and company. anyone here or that you know of that is using a perfect power piggtback (smt 5, 6, or 7)?

i just dont want this ecu to freak out if it sees a high PSI, if fuel control is the only obstacle then i will find a way around that fast enough

is there any technical data available online for these cars, or do i need the old fashioned haynes manual? the car will come with one but hyundai has a 'webtech' website which gives damn near every technical aspect of their cars and engines and everything. thats one reason why i like hyundais, ALL technical and troubleshooting data is available online for free if you sign up.