View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #53
chash360
Stock

chash360 is on a distinguished road
Default Warpage

More often the head will warp before the block (I assume it is a 7MGTE or 7MGE with the cast Iron Block and Aluminum Head). Having the head resurfaced is usually a good idea, and not too expensive, especially if it has really over heated when the gasket blew. Resurfacing can also increase your compression slightly, be sure to observe proper torque and tightening sequence, improper head bolt torque causes head warping probably more often than anything else. If you have a turbo and do shave the head for increased compression (not just for the resurface) I highly recommend you get an ARP Head bolt kit to re-install with.

I have never had to resurface the block but there is a first time for everything. Check it with a good flat edge (a good metal carpenters level is usually sufficient), if you can pass a razor blade under it anywhere, it needs work. (a real shaving razor blade not a box cutter blade, if you get a box cutter blade under it its really bad)

I have never done just the head resurface, the last one I did was with a valve job (Pressure Test, Valves and seats polished, new seals and springs, and resurface) for about $460 at a NAPA machine shop.

Last edited by chash360; 05-22-2007 at 11:30 PM.
chash360 is offline   Reply With Quote